When considering a kitchen remodeling project, many people want to know the upfront costs and timeline. Kitchen remodeling costs in major metro areas like Los Angeles can vary depending on the size of the kitchen, the materials you choose, and the extent of your renovation.
This post will provide you with an average cost to renovate a kitchen in your area and plan your budget.
Kitchen Remodeling Costs
Based on your kitchen renovation needs, taste, and requirements, a wide range of services can go into your new kitchen. For a small kitchen, you can expect to spend from $130 to $200 per square foot in Los Angeles.
The kitchen remodeling costs in the Los Angles and Van Nuys area can also vary based on the type of kitchen you want. For a simple kitchen, you can expect to spend between $8,000 and $15,000, while for a high-end kitchen, you can expect to spend more.
What is a realistic budget for a kitchen remodel?
With the foregoing stated, a kitchen remodel is a significant investment, and it's essential to have a realistic budget in mind before starting the project. The cost of a kitchen renovation can vary widely based on several factors such as the size of your kitchen, the materials you choose, and the extent of the work to be done, specifically whether you reface or replace your kitchen cabinets. On average, it is fair to say that a kitchen remodel can cost anywhere from $150,000 to $75,000 or more in the Greater Los Angeles area.
Here is what goes into kitchen renovation:
- Kitchen cabinets
- Kitchen countertops
- Tile backsplash
- Kitchen appliances
- Types of flooring
- Kitchen demolition cost
- Kitchen plumbing and electrical
- Kitchen fixtures
Why Do Home Improvement Prices Increase?
Due to the pandemic, supply chain delay, and economic inflation, home improvement prices have significantly increased. Supply chain disruptions affected product backlogs, material prices, and kitchen remodeling timelines.
The COVID-19 pandemic is another common problem in this industry. While kitchen remodeling demand is growing, the supply-chain disruptions result in shortages. Supply constraints have inflated material costs and the overall costs to renovate a kitchen or bathroom.
According to NAHB or the National Association of Home Builders, shortages in materials and products have been more widespread than ever since the 90s.
What is the biggest expense in a kitchen remodel?
The biggest expense in a kitchen remodel is typically the cost of cabinets, which can account for up to 30% of the total cost of the renovation. Other significant expenses include the cost of countertops, appliances, and labor. With this in mind, if your cabinet shell is in good condition, and you really are just looking for a more modern look and feel, then refacing the cabinets with new doors, drawers, and pullout cabinet accessories may be a better option for you. We like to say, why replace, when you can reface and save thousands of dollars!
How to Plan Your Remodeling Budget
Now that you know more about why renovation costs have increased, you still need to plan your remodeling budget. So, where to start?
When a contractor comes to your Los Angeles home to provide you with an estimate, they consider numerous factors that may affect the project’s cost. The cost to renovate a kitchen in Los Angeles will vary based on the items you want to replace.
What time of year is best for a kitchen remodel?
The best time of year for a kitchen remodel is typically during the off-season, which is usually during the winter months near the holiday season, in Southern California. During this time, many contractors may have more availability, and there may also be discounts on materials and labor.
Your Cabinets are a major consideration when setting your budget.
How can I reduce the cost of remodeling my kitchen?
There are several ways to reduce the cost of remodeling your kitchen, including:
- Opting for laminate countertops instead of more expensive materials like granite or quartz
- Choosing stock cabinets instead of custom-made cabinets
- Doing some of the work yourself, such as painting or installing new hardware
- Buying appliances during sales or clearance events
- Reusing existing fixtures and appliances where possible
You can expect higher renovation costs if you:
- Have a large kitchen
- Want a shorter renovation timeline
- Want to replace everything in the kitchen
- Want to install custom kitchen cabinets vs cabinet refacing
- Want to replace all appliances with energy-efficient ones
- Use premium flooring solutions (wood or plank)
- Use premium countertop materials (Corian or granite)
- Need to replace the subfloor
- Want to make structural modifications
- Need a new vent or hood
You can expect lower renovation costs if you:
- Have a small to medium-size kitchen
- Want to update only a specific part of the kitchen
- Have a flexible schedule
- Re-use the same appliances
- Use standard-grade materials (laminate countertops or vinyl flooring)
Schedule a Free Consultation
At I&C Cabinets, we offer a free remodeling consultation for those who want to make minor or major changes in their kitchen. We are the go-to company in Los Angeles for kitchen remodeling and cabinet refacing, so rest assured you are in the hands of professionals.
Contact us today to get the dream kitchen you want and save money on materials. Call (888) 487-1539 to discuss the cost of renovating your kitchen.
- Los Angeles Bathroom Remodel: Uncover the Best Premier Contractors and Costs - November 9, 2023
- Cabinet Contractor: The Essential Guide to Hiring the Right Pro for Your Kitchen Remodel - October 15, 2023
- Why Remodel Your Kitchen? Five Reasons for a Benefits Rich Makeover - September 15, 2023